Wishin' on a Star

...this was a dark poem that was written in order to bring light to sexual abuse...

Wishin' on a Star

Star light, star bright, the first star I see tonight. I wish I may, I wish I might, have the wish I wish tonight.
"Don't let him touch me," he pleads. He doesn't know how to tell anyone of his stepfather's evil deeds.
He stays silent and keeps his cool. He doesn't say anything he knows how to act at school. The teachers don't suspect a thing, he gets good grades, he's an honor student straight A's.
He does extra activities and donates all his time. No one knows what runs through his mind. 
He buries himself in his work and spends long nights at the library alone. No one knows that he's afraid to go home.
The place that's supposed to bring warmth and comfort, he dreads. "You bet not tell no one but God. It'll kill yo' mother," he says. So he stays quiet and takes it. His mother is at work when his stepfather enters his bed naked. He cries out as he bleeds; his stepfather covers his mouth and fulfills his needs.
Stricken with grief and terror, he stares at his pale reflection in the mirror. His emotions are still as his heart gets stiller. He tries to commit suicide by downing a bottle of painkillers.
He lies down in his bed wishing he was dead. His breathing gets shallow as he sleeps through the night. He's no longer in pain as he waits for the bright light. But it never comes; he wakes up without a yawn the next day around dawn. 
He can't believe he's still alive, he cannot speak. He lets out a weep as the door squeaks. Tears raid his eyes as he looks out at the sky. He can't tell anyone of his stepfather's evil deeds. 
"Don't let him touch me," he pleads.
Star light, star bright, the first star I see tonight. I wish I may, I wish I might, have the wish I wish tonight. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 6

Love

My Lil' Story 'bout Love