Mother 2 Son Remix

There are a lot of great African American Poets. I read a poem called Mother to Son by Langston Hughes. I was reading Push by Sapphire and Precious was reading the poem to her son. I was feeling the poem and the way she was talking to her son. I began imagining how my mother would talk to me and what she would say. I also thought about what I would say back. And that is when I came up with my Mother 2 Son Remix.

Mother to Son  

By: Langston Hughes

Well, son, I'll tell you:
Life for me ain't been no crystal stair.
It's had tacks in it,
And splinters,
And boards torn up,
And places with no carpet on the floor --
Bare.
But all the time
I'se been a-climbin' on,
And reachin' landin's,
And turnin' corners,
And sometimes goin' in the dark
Where there ain't been no light.
So boy, don't you turn back.
Don't you set down on the steps
'Cause you finds it's kinder hard.
Don't you fall now --
For I'se still goin', honey,
I'se still climbin',
And life for me ain't been no crystal stair.

Mother 2 Son Remix

Mother:

The winds have been brutal, 
the storm has been tough. 
I tell you son, 
life's thrown a lot of stuff.
It's been bends, 
turns, and twists I didn't know.
Although darkness took over 
I still pushed myself to go.
I climbed my way to the top, 
thaz when the Lord called me home.
He was so proud of my climb
and that I did it alone.
Baby, I climbed and I climbed 
and momma didn't give up.
I had you and yo' sister 
to keep me out of that rut.
Life is hard and only gets harder. 
But, boy, don't you sit down; you bet not turn back.
I didn't birth you for nothing 
or raised you like that.
There were times when I had nothin'.
The boards were torn up, 
splintered and bare,
and in the darkness I climbed my way through. 
Life for me ain't been no crystal stair.

Son:

Well life ain't been no escalator ride for me either.
There ain't been not one place I could stop and take a breather.
Life's been full of unanswered prayers, lies, false dreams and hopes.
I ain't even got no landings momma, just an icy slope. 
And now you're gone at the worse timing
Momma, I done lost my reason for climbing.
The steps are hard like I'm stuck to the ground with glue,
every step I take, I slide back two.
The climb's left my hands and feet bloody and raw.
I know you don't want me to turn back, but the pain, I think I'm gone fall.
I ain't asking for a future glance
I know life ain't fair.
All I ask for is a chance,
no not no crystal stair.

Mother:

Remember you can do it baby;
I'm just right over that hill son,
and I'll be patiently waiting
'til yo' climb is done...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 6

Love

My Lil' Story 'bout Love