My Lil' Story 'bout Love

I've loved and I've lost. My high school sweetheart who I loved and lost after not treating her right. I thought maybe one day I would be able to get that back. I stayed there for her when she needed me. I even did the unthinkable and talk to her when she lost her virginity. Though it was supposed to be me, I let it go and still loved her. I was even there for her as he mother was dying. I was there lending an ear and my experience and telling her the real. She needed to spend as much time with that woman as possible because she was never going to get to see her again.
As we talked more and more she started telling me about the times when her so called new dude hit her. I told her I loved her, I apologized for my past. I told her and I meant I would do better. No, I never cheated but I was guilty of not showing her the love and affection she deserved. And it was because of that I felt she was where she was. I felt it was my fault that she was in the relationship she was in.
We stopped talking for some reason but I've never stopped thinking about her. The love of my life that I lost. She is the love that I write about in all of my poems, the love that is good, the love that is dead. She is my definition of love. Which, seems to be defined as something unattainable in my life. I found myself thinking about her one day and whether or not she was still in the same situation.
So I wrote praying the future would not be what it was in my poem.

My Lil' Story 'bout Love

She was such a beautiful girl, in my book a ten. It's such a grave tale, this is how it begins. 
We met back in high school and it was love at first sight. No one wanted us together so from the jump we had to fight. Well, I made a mistake and broke her heart. That ends one tale and the next one starts.
It was a dark day, June 17, 2003. That was the day I was replaced and she found a new me. Except, we weren't anything alike we would soon find out.
He never let her speak her mind. He'd put her down, yell and shout. She said she loved him. That's why she'd stay. But I thought fear stopped her from running away.
As time went on I saw her less and less. He kept her locked up, it was a mess. It wasn't long before they were engaged and his shouting stopped, leaving his fist to express his rage.
It started with grabbing her arm and then a firm shake. She began to make excuses for his deplorable state. Soon came the heavy blows, leaving her battered and bruised. She hid her pain behind makeup and rouge.
Her friends and family tried to help her leave. But she was too far in. All he had to do was lie and promise to never hit her again.
I kind of blame myself for her grief, I'd ask about it, but our conversations were brief. She said she owed me no explanation. I know inside she blames me for her situation.
The next time I heard about her, it was something I read. It was horrible, before they could get married she was dead.
She said she loved him, that's why she'd stay. But it was fear which stopped her from running away. She was such a beautiful girl, in my book a straight ten. Such a grave tale. 
The End...

Comments

  1. Emotional Jasheem... Love it. Such a grave tale...
    -We like the explanation at the start to put it in context! We hope you find the love of your life!!!

    Best,
    Nathan @BreakupFear
    (www.BreakupFear.com)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 6

Love