Confessions

While thinking about confessions, I came up with this poem. I was trying to be the angel and the devil on my shoulder. I was trying to see if I was able to, I guess be a priest. I was trying to see if I would be able to use scripture in a way that rhymed and combated all the negativity.
So, I set it in a catholic church and started...

Confessions

The door opens with cautious discretion.
  "Forgive me father, for I have sinned. It has been eight years since my last confession. I haven't been feeling myself and I've fallen out of love with my wife. No longer am I interested in my married life. I felt because she was pregnant my hand was forced, but now that our child is grown, I think I want a divorce. I do love her but I met someone else and it's time I go. It's a sin father I know, but I'm no saint or angel. I'm human, I'm weak and I was born in sin. Now father tell me, what do you recommend?"
"I tell you in your heart sin does lurk.
Marriage my child is all God's work.
I tell you if you must, fee free and go,
but only and I mean only if the Lord is telling you so.
Now go; enjoy your day,
and my son, you must pray..."

The door creaks as the next person came in for their lesson.
   "Forgive me father, for I have sinned. It has been three months since my last confession. There is this man in my life and lately I've been filled with sorrow and strife. He started out as just a good friend but now father, I'm in love with this married man. Several times we lay together, him and me. Father, I may have given this man H.I.V. I don't know how I got it, just today I was confirmed. I've only been with him and I'm scared to tell him I've been burned. It is hard for me to tell all of this to you. Father please, tell me what must I do?"
"My dear what I tell you is true,
you must repent and let God love you. 
You are sad, weary; you see your future as grim.
But your soul will be cleansed and you will live forever if you have faith in him.
Now leave this man alone and go, go the right way and don't you veer to the left
because the wages of sin my child is death..."

The door slams as another comes in.
   "Forgive me father, for I have sinned. This is actually my first confession. My husband has been cheating with some woman and so I set out for revenge. But I bit off more than I could chew and got more than I bargained for. So I intentionally tried to spread what I got to him and his whore. He's starting to show symptoms, but I feel no remorse. First thing in the morning I'll be filing for divorce. The divorce is the least of his problems; he wants one anyway. Now that you've heard what I've done what do you have to say?"
"You have a lot on your plate, but you must relax.
I am sorry, but I don't know what you expect to hear from the question you ask.
So here's the truth; the only thing which must cause you worry
is the fact that you don't feel sorry.
And no one can make you, but that you need to pray for,
you need a change of heart; now go and sin no more!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 6

Love

My Lil' Story 'bout Love