Rain

I had an idea that I would try and write a series of poems that spoke to children in dangerous situations. This one was one of a series within that series where I use old nursery rhymes. I've been told that they are dark in nature because of the seriousness they deal with. I never wanted to corrupt these nursery rhymes, but still it happened. The reason nursery rhymes were incorporated into these poems were because I wanted to show the bad side of these things. By that I mean, these songs are not happy for everyone. Sometimes they bring a lot of pain so I used that. I used it because I felt it was catchy and easier to express how a child could be traumatized. Like because of the way I was treated in my aunty's home whenever I smell her perfume and she is not in my immediate vision, my heart starts racing. I know it's crazy but it happens. I can be in a store and someone smells like her and I get scared, my heart starts beating fast and I start looking around. So, that was the basis of this poem. And now, here is...

Rain


Rain, rain go away!
       come back another day.
She cries to the cloudless, sunny sky
       hoping the yelling would subside.
Her mother hits the floor,
       as she silently pleads, no more.
He used to love them now he don't
       he use to care and now he won't.
As she grows on her it now pours,
       so she sits in silence the attic behind closed doors.
It's her only escape from reality,
       her only way to hide from his brutality.
She looks into the mirror and asks why
       as she stares into her mothers eyes.
And cried,
       harder than she did the day her mother died.
The door begins to quiver and shake,
       he's found her secret hiding place.
She nervously sits back,
       and watches as the door cracks.
He use to love her, now he won't
       he use to care, now he don't.
Rain, rain go away
       come back another day.
She cries to the cloudless, sunny sky
         hoping the door will hold until his anger subsides.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 6

Love

My Lil' Story 'bout Love